As defined by the International Coaching Federation (ICF), of which I am a proud member, coaching is:
“partnering with clients in a thoughtful-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.”
Coaching is not:
- Counseling: Instead, we look forward, not backward
- Teaching: Instead, we enable learning
- Mentoring: Instead, a person’s path is their own
- Consulting: Instead, you figure out your own course of action, always with my support
What do we do in Coaching?
Our work together might include:
- Exploring beliefs, core values, and goals – (professional or personal)
- Envisioning the future
- Imagining what is possible
- Determining next steps
- Examining internal obstacles (such as fear) to making changes or taking risks
- Shedding old habits and/or developing new ones
- Designing a plan or strategy to move forward
Questions we might explore during coaching :
What do I want?
What should I do next?
What do I believe?
Do I have what it takes?
How will I know?
What else is possible?
Why am I scared?
What do I want to be different?
What are my options?
What do I need to be better/more effective/successful?
What is getting in my way?
How do I get from here to there?